- 25 th January 2019
- ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences
Call for Mobility Grants with South Asia and Iran 2019
Leading House South Asia and Iran, ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Switzerland
Application Deadline: 31 March 2019
Contact Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The Swiss State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI) has commissioned ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences as Leading House for the bilateral research collaboration with partner institutions in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Iran, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
2. Goals and objectives
This mobility grant is designed for young scientists who seek the possibility to gain experience in international research and development projects. Recipients of this mobility grant will be enabled to build up new partnerships through personal contacts early on in their career. Such early international exchange should inspire researchers to seek international collaborations also later in their scientific career.
Mobility grants can be awarded to young scientists who
- Hold a Master’s degree but no PhD yet and have not more than 6 years of professional research experience
- Are Swiss researchers who wish to enhance their career by spending time in an academic environment in one of the countries mentioned above, or researchers from the countries mentioned above to work on a project in Switzerland.
The call is open for research activities in all scientific disciplines and fields of research, including social sciences and humanities. Host researchers must be permanently employed principal investigators at a university or research institute in their respective country.
The applicant’s mobility visit should be for a duration of between 1 – 3 months.
3.1 Additional information for applicants from Switzerland
Applicants in Switzerland who wish to visit South Asia or Iran for research purposes need to be scientists with a Swiss federal or cantonal university, university of applied sciences or university of teachers’ education, or a public research institution.
They need to hold Swiss nationality, permanent residence in Switzerland, residence or cross-border commuter permit for Switzerland, or be in marriage or in a registered partnership with a Swiss citizen.
3.2 Additional Information for researchers from South Asia or Iran
Applicants from South Asia or Iran who wish to visit Switzerland for research purposes need to be scientists with a government accredited, mandated or appointed university, or public research institute in their respective country.
They need to hold nationality of the country where their home institute is, permanent residence or cross-border commuter permit there, or be in a marriage or in a registered partnership with a citizen of the country where their home institute is.
The mutual commitment of and reciprocal support by the partner institutes in both countries (i.e. Switzerland and a partner in one of the countries listed above) will serve as an indicator for the strength of the mobility grant application. This includes commitment of funds as well as in-kind resources by the involved institutes.
5. Funding and budgeting
Please note that the Leading House will disburse funds to the Swiss sending and/or host institute only. It will make no remittances to any other organization (e.g. host institution, tax authorities, insurance companies, etc.) or any individual person, whether in Switzerland or abroad. The Swiss institute will be responsible for spending the grant money in the spirit of the grant application.
Applicants should clarify as early as possible whether a stay at the host institution is subject to any conditions. For example, some host institutions ask fellowship holders to contribute a sum of money towards the institution's overhead. However, the Leading House South Asia and Iran at ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences does not cover any overhead costs incurred at host institutions.
Please also clarify your status at the host institution. Some host institutes demand that visiting researchers be officially employed at the host institution. In such cases, it is possible that a portion of the grant is spent on social security contributions. The amount that ought to be available to the visiting researchers to cover their living costs thereby gets reduced. The same is applicable to costs such as insurance, tax etc.
The host institution may also ask for funds to cover the research costs (e.g. salaries, equipment etc.). Such costs must not be covered by this mobility grant.
5.1 Budget for researchers from Switzerland going abroad
The Leading House South Asia and Iran at ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences can fund flights for applicants from Switzerland as well as a flat rate for work-related public transport within the destination country and, if justified, a contribution towards research and local conference costs as well as matriculation fees at the host institute (total reimbursement of actual cost up to CHF 2,500).
The hosting partner abroad should fund living allowances for Swiss candidates up to three months.
5.2 Budget for researchers from South Asia or Iran coming to Switzerland
For applicants from South Asia or Iran the Leading House South Asia and Iran at ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences can fund living allowances, a flat rate for work-related public transport within Switzerland and, if justified, a contribution towards research and local conference costs as well as matriculation fees at the host institute (reimbursement of actual cost up to CHF 2,500 per month during maximum 3 months).
The mobility grand must not be used for travelling outside of Switzerland nor should the grant be spent in any other country but Switzerland.
The partner institute abroad should fund travel costs from South Asia or Iran to Switzerland and back. The Leading House South Asia and Iran at ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences cannot reimburse such travel costs.
Applications are accepted online only at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CHYGNW5 and must include:
- Scanned copy of a signed letter from your supervisor at your home institute (on the institute's official letter head; the accepted file types for this document is PDF, JPG and JPEG. The file size limit is 16MB).
- Scanned copy of a signed letter from the institute abroad that will host you (on the institute's official letter head; the accepted file types for this document is PDF, JPG and JPEG. The file size limit is 16MB).
- One document containing an abstract of your research proposal, and the expected outcome of the proposed research work (approximately one page A4; the accepted file types for this document is PDF, DOC and DOCX. The file size limit is 16MB).
4. Your CV (the accepted file types for this document is PDF, DOC and DOCX. The file size limit is 16MB).
A preview of the online application form is appended to this document.
- Applications will be accepted until: End of March 2019
- Latest mobility visit start date: September 2019
- Evaluation and selection decision: Within 1 month after the submission deadline (subject to timely response from research partner institutes)
- Notification: Within 1 week after the decision
- Mobility visit duration: 1 - 3 months
8. Evaluation and selection
- Evaluation and selection are based on the following criteria (not listed in order of priority):
- Conformity with the mobility grant programme’s objectives
- Suitability of the candidate and the research partner institute’s host supervisor
- Benefit of the proposed visit(s) for cooperation, synergies between the two involved research organizations (previous contacts between these organizations are considered an advantage, but are not mandatory)
- Quality of the proposed project
- Availability of funds (first come, first serve).
After completion of the visits, the applicant together with the Swiss institute (whether sending or host) shall submit a report as well as a financial statement to the Leading House South Asia and Iran not later than one month after the visits.
Leading House South Asia and Iran, ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, CH-8401 Winterthur, Switzerland, email@example.com
Refer to the Full Application Call downloadable in the side column for more details.