The Himalayan University Consortium (HUC) was established with a mandate to develop an effective, sustainable network of universities in the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH). The initiative is part of the regional programme on Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks (MKAN) at the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD). It works in collaboration with academic, research, and knowledge generating and exchange institutions within and outside the HKH.
Over the past decade, ICIMOD has provided technical support in strengthening research capacity in climate change sciences and natural resource studies and management. The HUC Secretariat responds to requests to help build and upgrade curricula for sustainable mountain development from schools and departments at universities—both members and non-members of HUC.
The Objective and the expected outcome of the meeting is stated below:
Vice-Chancellors, Pro-Vice Chancellors, and senior administrators and researchers from HUC member institutions in Nepal will be discussing:
- A draft of the HUC Strategy and Action Plan I (2018–2025).
- Potential funding sources for research and training collaboration among HUC members in Nepal and members within and outside the region.
- Thematic areas for Nepal and the role of HUC Nepal members in thematic working groups.
- Promotion of science-policy dialogues through HUC linkages with policy making institutions.
- Potential linkage between HUC and Nepal’s University Grants Commission.
- The need to establish a HUC Country Chapter in Nepal.
- Procedure to nominate a HUC Steering Group member representing members in Nepal.
The meeting is expected to arrive at:
- A summary of comments and inputs to the HUC Strategy and Action Plan I (2018–2025).
- A summary and action points regarding resource mobilization and potential for collaboration.
- A summary and action points regarding the HUC Country Chapter in Nepal.
- A summary and action points of the nomination procedure for a HUC Steering Group member representing Nepal.